Monday, March 24, 2008

Chapter #6: Motivation and Boredom

"Just teaching "by the book" bores anybody, not only teenagers." (p. 105) We are constantly talking about motivating students and wondering how to do it. A look at what it takes for you yourself to be motivated might be a good place to start looking for ideas.
This is such a simple idea but it seems to be overlooked in a lot of academic circles. I know that if information is in and of itself boring to me (like the study of electricity) then it will take more than reading about the theory for me to understand it. However, if the teacher can bring that knowledge to life and show me how it works then I can be very interested in a topic that I thought that I would never like! It doesn't need a lot of extra work but it may need some movement outside someones comfort zone. Think about it. It really wouldn't be hard to role play a lot of the history that is taught everyday in the classroom. That doesn't even involve technology but could reach so many more students than reading and reciting back facts.

No comments: